megillah- discord

 

elul 5 781

i did not want to join discord. its format is why i try avoid interacting too much with the internet. there is always something going on and happening on discord whether it be a discussion or voice chat/video tea rooms. it is easy to get sucked in and spend a lot of time interacting with it. it’s also very easy for me to be overcome with fomo because there is always something going on. Oh no, i might miss out on this group buy, oh no i might miss out on someone giving away some hot tips on an unknown tea or vendor, oh no I might miss out on the beginning of some inside joke, etc etc.

despite all this, i have dipped into discord. the main reason was because I heard there were good deals and group buys being organized on there and i wanted in. well, it is true. discord is where you can find people organizing group buys for taobao or yang qing hao. The trading/selling area has some really good teas that are hard to come or people post samples of teas where the vendor does not offer samples.

that is why I joined, but I have found other reasons to stay. on the puer chat, there are very knowledgeable veteran puer drinkers. it is here that you can ask questions and get very good detailed answers that i find to be lacking on reddit. also, many people on discord have similar tastes to myself so it is great to get their opinions and find out about what teas they like.

another beneficial thing I have found from discord is that it is a great resource for improving the content of this blog. my main goal in learning more about puer is so i may be able to share this information. i want to be like the people who are helping me out as I get more serious about puer. i want to one day be that person who is giving someone their first try of YQH or is able to provide well informed information for beginners looking to explore puer.

just like my struggles with fomo in terms of buying tea, I am trying to be conscious of feelings of fomo around being on discord. I do not like spending lots of time on the internet and i have to get used to missing out on things (in addition to people globally missing out on IRL experiences because of a pandemic).

i have to keep on going back to my key reminder. There is plenty of tea. enjoy the tea I have now. there is plenty of time for me to drink tea and to continue to learn. yes, one day trees will no longer exist and we might all be living in space stations as we try to rehabilitate the earth’s atmosphere, but for now, there is enough tea. And it we run out, i’ll just deal with it.

xoxo, 

atzei besamim 

Comments